Additions and Corrections
to Levy's Boy & Girl Scout Cachet Covers of the United States Volume I & II
Copyright © 2009 - 2017 by Scouts on Stamps Society International, Inc. All rights reserved.
Additional information is always most welcome.
Email the author directly at
View by Decade:
1910s ....... pages 264-265 1950s ....... pages 285-298
1920s ....... pages 266-267 1960 ........ pages 299-303
1930s ....... pages 268-274 Labels ....... pages 304-305
1940s ....... pages 275-284 Cancellations ... pages 306
INDEX ....... pages 1-306
In 1940s, 42-7 is added.
In 1930s, 31-4.2 is added.
In 1910s, 12-1 is added.
In 1920s, 23-3 is added.
The American Boy Scout
Stationery from the American Boy Scout New England Headquarters
The American Boy Scout[s], or ABS, was founded and incorporated in May, 1910 by the publisher, William
Randolph Hearst, just 3 months after the publisher, William D. Boyce incorporated the Boy Scouts of America.
The ABS was a more military oriented group and they marched and drilled with rifles. After just
a few years the BSA absorbed most of the other Boy Scout groups and put the remainder out of business
when they legally took ownership of the name "Boy Scouts", and all variants thereof, in 1919. In the very
beginning however, all Scout groups were properly and correctly identified as Boy Scouts.
This is the earliest known [United States] Boy Scout organization cover & the only one we know of from 1910.
Donation to Church
Backstamped "Forksville, PA NOV 17, 1911 REC'D"
Example is on a 1¢ Franklin 2nd class stamped envelope Scott #U400. The church name "M. E."
stands for "Methodist Episcopal" and was in common usage 100 years ago.
The sender, Major R.H. Hendershot, was a vaudeville performer and personality of the time.
He performed in churches as well as in halls & theatres. This cover would indicate that
he paid for the use of churches by making donations to church sponsored youth groups.
Ref: See SOSSI Journal, Jan/Feb, 2009, Page 5.
Girl Scouts of America
Des Moines, IA
This severely cut cover front is the Only recorded example of the First Girl Scout Organization in the USA.
The fluer-de-lis GSA Badge is reconstructed from the image on the cover. The Trefoil, shown for comparison,
is from the frontis of the 1920 first edition, first printing of Scouting for Girls, the Girl Scouts, Inc. handbook.
The "Girl Scouts of America" was founded in Des Moines, Iowa in 1910 by
[Miss] Clara Adella Lisetor-Lane.
Two years later in 1912, Juliette Low founded the "Girl Guides of America". In 1913 Low changed the
name of her organization to the "Girl Scouts" and in 1915 she incorporated the Girl Scouts as
"Girl Scouts, Inc." with the name "Girl Scouts" remaining in use. In 1947, Girl Scouts, Inc.
changed their name to "Girl Scouts of the United States of America" [aka "Girl Scouts of the U.S.A."
aka "Girl Scouts of the USA" aka "GSUSA"] which it’s been now for the past 70 years.
Regular misuse not withstanding, at no time in its history, from 1912 to date, has "GSUSA"
ever been named "Girl Scouts of America".
14-0.1 front back
Mr. Beard Will Speak to the Boy Scouts
Lone Scouts of America
Stationery from the LSA National Headquarters
17-2 17-2 back
W. D. Boyce - Lone Scout
W. D. Boyce Co. advertising cover promoting their four largest papers including the Lone Scout,
the LSA national publication.
First Class Badge on Troop 4, Schenectady, NY stationery
The earliest known cover picturing a Scout Badge.
Troop 4, Schenectady, NY
See contents in "US Scout Covers", Letters & mailing section.
Boys' Life Activities
New York, NY
National Council, BSA
San Francisco Council Boy Scouts of America San Francisco
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco Council stationery
Boy Scout Headquarters - Meriden, Conn.
Boy Scout Headquarters stationery
First Boy Scout Week - 1919
Lone Scouts of America 2½" Logo
Two Harbors, MI
Fort Lee, NJ
This rubber stamp logo was available from the LSA and the Scouts were encouraged to use it.
Lone Scouts did not have troop meetings and virtually all communication was by mail.
Page 7 of the Catalog Introduction under "Not Included". Change "Personal stationery" to
"personal stationery except for Lone Scouts"
Camp Glen Gray Stationery
The fluer-de-lis image is the Camp's initials, "G G", written in script.
Camp Glen Gray opened in 1917, closed in 2001, and this is the earliest known cover.
Actually, there was no Scout Camp named Montclair. This was where the Scouts from Montclair camped.
Treasure Island Camp Stationery
Pipersville, PA was the Camp's postal address until 1931 at which time the Camp got its own Post Office.